Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 262 - Transition - Taking Stock

It is the beginning of the year.  For many years I have spent January reflecting on what has happened in the last year and what, if anything needs to change in my goals and behaviors going forward.  It is a time of taking stock and deciding what to focus on in the coming year.

I can’t believe this transition phase in my career has lasted as long as it has.  I was easily prepared to last 6 months, figuring that I would be able to find something in that time.  Even as I was planning this, I was hearing that the average time to find a job was taking 8 months.  Now I’m moving past this mark and not feeling good about it.

In order to last 6 months or more I decided to set my priorities as the following:

  1. Find a job
  2. Become the stay at home Dad
  3. Get in Shape and improve my health
  4. Complete a large remodel in my house
  5. Move forward on an idea for a non-profit that I had

In this blog I wanted to step through each of these and relate to the progress I have made in each are and then try to capture where I am now.  In some later blog I will discuss changes that I will make to these.

Finding a Job

Still looking and this is still the first priority over everything else.  It seems that in the last month the pace of interesting jobs being advertised has increased greatly.  I have had more interviews in the last month than I had in the previous 6 months.  Since I have been laid off, I have learned how to search for jobs and refine my resume for the particular job that I am applying for.  I am learning about the interview process and how to best prepare for an interview. 

I have been working with the Leadership team of a local professional organization.  This allows me to keep in touch with the profession and do some “real work” which  helps my sanity.  I am also working on becoming certified in office 2010 by completing some courses from Microsoft.

Over all, I think I have been doing well in this area and I am still failing.  I need to do more.  I am considering volunteering for my Master’s degree alumni association, as a way to network and again do something inspiring.

Become a stay at home Dad

I have been keeping the house clean, though not as clean as when I started.  I have backed off how I clean the house and now keep the house reasonably clean.  Using the hours saved in the other areas. 

I also feel that I have done a good job with the shopping and cooking.  There has been grumblings from time to time, but no mutiny from the recipients of my cooking.  I have tried to cook in a healthy manner and with a minimum of processed foods.  Though the time and labor convenience of processed foods keeps from fresh preparing every meal.

Get in Shape and improve my health

I was doing great with this until the end of August and then I injured my foot and had to back of my walking.  Unfortunately, I backed off much more than my walking.  In addition to my injury, two other activities bumped up  against this goal. 

The first was that I was approaching my mental milestone of 6 months since being laid off and I wasn’t all that close to getting a job.  My anxiety level was increasing, so I increased the amount of time I was spending on looking for work.  I don’t know if I was more effective, but I spent more time doing it.   

The second had to do with the remodeling.  Instead of my health being my third priority I move the remodel ahead of this.   There was a lot of work that needed to be done.  My family was getting anxious to see more get done here.  It as also nice to have something that I could see the physical transformation happen in real time, as opposed to the job hunting that takes place over longer periods and involves a lot of non-response.

Basically, these trends continued through November, and getting in shape has taken a back seat.  Starting in December, I started reversing this trend, and have been increasing the amount of exercise that I have been doing.  And as many people, I have been especially good at this since the New Year. 

Complete a large remodel in my house

I made great progress on the remodel in the Fall.  Now I’m trying to find a good sheet rocker that I can hire to do the next big step.  The one we had lined up fell down a flight of stairs and busted up his elbow in December.  So I need to scramble to find a new person.

I’m pretty happy with how the remodeling has progressed, though it has been very slow.  Keeping my priorities in order has caused this and I still think I have them in the right order, so I guess I can expect that progress will be slow going forward also.

Move forward on an idea for a non-profit that I had

While it was not the progress that I expected when I started this, I have made great progress here.  I have decided that my idea wasn’t needed at this time and that I shouldn’t spend any more time on this.   So this one is complete.

Current State

Surprising, I feel I am in pretty good shape emotionally.  I am mostly upbeat and optimistic about the future.  The amount of interest that I have received in the last couple of months has been much better than  in my first part of this journey.

Though, I found that I go through times which can best be described as a funk.  A funk where I don’t feel very optimistic.  I feel that these times hold important messages.  I don’t want to get lost in the feelings themselves, but I do want to understanding what brought on the funk and decide what, if anything, I need to change in order to improve the situation.

This happened recently on what I felt was a successful interview.  They called back the next day and told me they decided to cancel the job.  It took a while to recovery from this.  When this happened, I felt somewhat helpless.  I felt I had the best interview yet and they still didn’t want what I had to offer.  It was hard, because I couldn’t understand what I could do to improve my performance.  And I was also feeling sorry for myself.    It took a while to come to the conclusion that I had done fine, and I just wasn’t right for that particular job.  And this was a case where the job requisition was actually opened just to interview me and then closed right after.  This tells me that my resume is working.  Now I need to work on the interviewing end.

I find that I’m spending more time worrying, I am more anxious, and I’m finding it harder to concentrate on things.  Being more consistent on my exercising should counteract all of this.  And I need to expect that going through this is going to be a more emotional time than normal and that I need to deal with these emotions as they come up.  It gives me a chance to use my emotional intelligence training.

I am optimistic about the changes that I am seeing in the job market.  I have been able to apply for many more jobs that I feel I have a chance at.  I feel that my resume is working and my interviewing to pretty good.  Tomorrow, I have an interview for a job I didn’t apply for, but for one which my resume was passed along after a different interview.

I’m also excited because I have several things to try as I go into this new year.  I’m going to increase my volunteering and networking.  And I’m going to complete some training that I have in progress and see if it is possible to get some other training paid for.

I have also received an offer from a friend to become a facilitator for a workshop called appreciative circles.  It is a 4 week training program to help people add deep appreciation into their lives.  These are workshops that I can facilitate and may in the process bring in a little money towards the family expenses which will be helpful.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment