Friday, December 17, 2010

Day 236- Transition - Networking Part IV

A social network diagram

Image via Wikipedia

 

After thinking about it for a while I think I have come up with a way to proceed with the networking series.  By looking at the actions that I consider networking I could then look at how I am doing these actions and what tools that I am using to accomplish these.  These allowed me to put together a structure to follow over the next few post.

To begin let’s review the definition for networking proposed in the last post:

 

The activities involved with accomplishing things through people and relating to others.  This includes building your social network, using tools like Internet social networking tools, building communities, and maintaining your network.

For the job hunting that I’m doing the purpose of networking is two fold.  First, the doing things through people is using my network to connect with those who have positions or information about positions.  To get good ideas from people about what I should be doing.

Secondly, the prupose of networking is to influence people that are using their network resources to accomplish their jobs(like recruiters).  This includes references from people in their networks.  It includes being seen on the network and as adding value on the network.  It includes showing that in today’s hyper connected world and quickly moving technology you have a handle on the changing technology and you know how to use it and can leverage this in your next assignment.  If you can’t you might want to get up to speed as quickly as you can.

A rule of the road is that networking has become ubiquitous, so some care has to be used.  Assume that everything that you type online or talk about with a group of people is going to be online and associated with your name on it.  Assume that anytime you are meeting with a group of people that they will be evaluating your dress and actions may be responsible as a reference for better or worse in the near future.  Some of the stuff you see shared on Blogs, Facebook or LinkedIn will come back to haunt people.

I thought this is a good poster that conveys a lot of information to consider about how you are doing with your network.  What are ways that you can improve your performance in these 5 areas?

5_ways_to_Cultivate_social_network

In the next posting I would like to start to define the following area of networking and how I deal with them:

  • Keeping my Network Informed
  • Remaining Active in my Network (especially on the professional side)
  • Maintaining Personal Contact
  • Leveraging Networking resources
  • Growing my Network

I hope I don’t leave the impression that I am great at all this.  I’m learning as I’m going.  I’m trying to continually push my own personal boundaries in order to become better at this.  By paying attention to this over the last few years I have become to learn some of the power of networking.  I have also learn many areas where I need to become better and push on my boundaries more than I have.

Today’s Quote:

"The world is a great mirror. It reflects back to you what you are. If you are loving, if you are friendly, if you are helpful, the world will prove loving and friendly and helpful to you. The world is what you are."

- Thomas Dreier, Author

 

Here are some additional resources:
Related articles

No comments:

Post a Comment