Monday, August 13, 2012

Peace Is Every Breath: A Practice for Our Busy LivesPeace Is Every Breath: A Practice for Our Busy Lives by Thich Nhat Hanh
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Peace Is Every Breath: A Practice for Our Busy Lives
by Thich Nhat Hanh
When I started this book I thought it was a bit slow and it took me while to get what Thich Nhat Hanh was trying to get across. Putting aside time to meditate probably holds more people away from meditation than anything else. In our already overburdened lives how do add time that appears to be accomplishing nothing.

Through many examples of small meditations that are easy to add into your life, Hanh is putting forth two messages. The first is that anyone can meditate because you can meditate just about anywhere and just about any time. You don’t have to be sitting like a pretzel, your eyes don’t have to be closed, and it doesn’t have to be quiet.

The second message is that more accomplished meditators need to expand the practice out of the easy space and into life as we live it. That meditating while sitting and then not being mindful the rest of the day or week, is like attending church on Sunday and not thinking of God again until the next Sunday.

There are a lot of simple examples packed into this book. When I finally understood how what Hanh was saying directly spoke to me and that I could implement some of the examples now and then add others later on, I started really getting into the book, the examples and the reasoning behind the examples. This is not that long of a book, and when I got to the end I wanted more.

I would recommend this book that is looking to deepen their spirituality through meditation or prayer. Or if you are just looking to increase your mindfulness as you go through your day.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment