Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day Five- Warn Notice - Networking

Today was interesting. My resume is about ready for the first pass update. It will be improved as I work to build a database of information to add or subtract from the resume as needed depending on the job that I’m applying for. This will support the strategy of fewer more directed resumes and cover letters—quality over quantity. The current version will be used to enter into the Boeing job system so that I can quickly get my resume out there.

There is a Boeing job that sounds interested that closes on Monday. I will enter my resume and apply. In addition, I’m going to see if the Vice President of the area will have a conversation with me. These large change programs are dependent on the sponsorship at the highest level. And my future will be dependent on this person. I would like to get a sense of him before making a decision on the job. Not that it is a given that I would get the job, but I think I’m fully qualified and would be a good fit for the job. Also, I would like to ask this person some advice. I’m a bit disenchanted about continuing with Boeing, and I would like to ask for some career advice.

This job has come to my attention from 5 different sources. My wife found it on the Boeing job site. Two of my co-workers sent me the information, and I queried three people in the area and receive two responses, the third person is out of town. This is a good example of how networking works.

Another example is from attending the Coaching community of practice today. The subject of caring for the people who had warn notices naturally came up in the meeting. I didn’t speak up, but took a ton of notes as they talked about resources they had to help coaches help people through the transition. I contacted people via email while the meeting was going on to get more information. Then the conversation in the meeting turned to how they could get connected to people, since the names are protected from general knowledge. Now I couldn’t remain quiet any longer. Overcoming my embarrassment, l told them about the IT People with Warn Notices inSite (Boeing Social Network program) group that I started the day before and how we could use this to connect the coaches with the people that needed them.

Karma came into to play. A person I coached is now working in the area of career transitions. She has many great resources and volunteered to coach me, thus returning my previous giving to her. This felt great and I will take her up on her offer next week. Also, due to this networking I heard of another job possibility which would be a great job working at a higher level in one of the business units. This will come with a recommendation from a person at the coaches meeting. Due to our past relationship and due to making the effort to reconnect with her now has resulting in a job possibility. This shows that treating people well over the long haul is so very important in times of trouble. It is important in regular times too, I just tend to miss seeing it.

The inSite group is now at 20 members. I spread the word in several venues and the word is starting to get out. I will spend a little more time tomorrow expanding these connections. I also had to warn a person against using the group as a way to gather data against the company. I know where this person is coming from; I have shared some of the same feelings. It is important to me that the group remains dedicated at help each other through transition. As I have been working on building the inSite group, I have also been continuing to increase my personal networking links inside and outside of Boeing. My LinkedIn connections have gone from 130 to 180 this week.

My emotions seem to be leveling out and my ability to focus and accomplish things was improved today. In addition to being able to concentrate, I was also able to think of others things besides being layoff and finding a job.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Chris,
    I know this is not the easiest time for you, but I think you are doing an amazing job of moving forward and it sounds like you are doing great things in expanding your network in just a matter of days. I think you are also setting a great examples for the other employees in the same situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You. I know this is helping me make sense of things, and it is heart warming to think of it helping others. I truly help it does.

    ReplyDelete