Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day Six - Warn Notice - First Application

Finished the first set of edits on the resume and sent it out to two places. The first was adding it to the Boeing Job search system. It is a little maddening to spend the time to get the resume looking good form wise and then have to convert it to text format. Also sent the electronic copy to a friend, who was going to share it with her boss; this might be a good possibility or could turn out to be nothing.

A large portion of the day was spent connecting with people via email—helping people get set up in inSite the Boeing’s social networking program. The group I started is at 36 people the last time I looked. After spending yesterday and today sending messages and links to the site, the first conversation and sharing happened on its own. I have found that it takes some help to get a community working and I’m thankful that I have been studying this over the last year. This has helped position me for networking which I’m starting to get a deeper appreciation for just how powerful networking is.

Expanded networking to outside of Boeing by starting a discussion with a friend of mine who has many of contacts all over the US. This was a planting seeds conversation; it will take patience, intention and action to germinate these seeds. Tomorrow, my outside networking will be furthered expanded outside by going to a special class of the program that I received my Masters from. This will be at Seattle University and consist of present students and alums that have been coaching the students through their degree committees. I may know some of the alums, the person whose committee I am on, and maybe one or two other students and some of the teachers. At the end of the two day class, I hope to have made many new connections.

There are other reasons for taking the class. I love to learn, and this last week has been stressful and tiring—this class represents a much needed break. Also there is some serendipity taking place spiritually in my life. The class is about a change method call Appreciative Inquiry or AI. Being appreciative and grateful for what I have has come up in dharma talks, meditation, and as part of the emotional roller coaster ride this last week. This is the perfect time to get reacquainted with AI and I am looking forward to spending two days in class on this subject and with students in their second years of their Masters transformation. The classroom experience should be a lot of fun.

I met and talked with my two closest team mates today. In some ways they are having it harder than I am. I am able to turn away from the past, take charge, and start moving forward. They are left picking of the pieces, being faced with uncertainty, and worried about me. I haven’t totally turned away; I am also worried about them and with my other teammates. These relationships that I have taken for granted for so long are very important to me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris:

    I was in your shoes back in January 08. I came across mention of your blog on Askit, and thought I'd stop by and wish you good luck with finding a new position.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave. I appreciate the caring.

    ReplyDelete