Monday, February 22, 2010

Day Three - Inner Circle

It was day three today. The accomplishments for today included getting a hold of all my brothers—I have five so this is no small feat. It wasn’t just a call to say “I’m getting layoff in 60 days. Good bye.” It took a while to get to a place of sharing, and then it took a while to process it and talk through it. And before all of this I had to get over the stigma of telling people. Intellectually this seems like a no brainer get over it and let people know. But in truth it took a little bit for this introvert to process this information and run through the conversation in my mind a few hundred times before I was ready for it.

I wanted to make sure they all knew before I started putting it on social networking sites. I’m working on expanding my networking capabilities and to get people engaged. I wanted to make sure that my family knew and that my immediate co-workers knew first. That has now been accomplished. I would like to let our closest friends know. Once that is done, I figure my inner circle has been notified.

After telling my co-workers at Boeing this weekend, I feel that I can start expanding my networking here. I will use our internal networking site and email to get the word over the few days.

Started updating my resume today, previous version was in 2006. It really didn’t take much to update it. I would like to take it to some people to see if it is good enough. My wife went over it today. She is a great editor, she finds everything. This is something that I have no talent for. I also went to the library and got books on Resumes, making career choices, and conducting job searches. I think I ended up with about ten books. They cover some of the same information so I can cross reference as I read. As I get into these books I will share the titles and whether I thought they were helpful.

Tomorrow, I will continue on the Resume. Hopefully getting that completed. Also want to arrange a meeting with my HR representative to start this ball rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment