Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Remodel – Some Forward Motion

We have a cabinets and a new tub on order.  We ordered a shower surround that came in damaged, so we changed and decided to put in a tiled shower in the master bath. 
Last week I met with a tile guy who is willing to take on the job.  He was recommended by a friend and this weekend we went and saw some of his finished work.  He does an excellent job. 
After I met with him I started the demolition of the master bath.  The demolition is now mostly complete.  I have a few pieces of the sheet rock left at the top of the wall just to give the ceiling extra support (you can see these in the picture below.  On the other side of the ceiling sheet rock is the attic.  I decided not to replace the ceiling sheetrock because I didn’t want to deal with the attic insulation and the heat of the attic at this time.
IMG_4135With my son helping and a borrowed a saz-all, we cut the fiberglass shower into pieces and hauled it out since it would fit through the door.  Taking out shower, sheetrock and flooring probably took two days.    This was stretched over four in order to still be able to look for work and do my other chores, though I got way behind in everything.
Removed the flooring to get the flooring out, this takes us down to one toilet in the house because I removed the laundry room toilet a while back.  So we decided to reinstall the one for the laundry room.
Bringing stuff in and out is not light duty.  I needed to borrow a truck to haul out a load of garbage ( this is the second load to the dump since starting).  And we needed the truck also to haul in new sheetrock. 
Working with the sheet rock has replace my lifting weights at the Y the last few days.  I am feeling new muscles that my regular work out misses.  I measure and cut the sheetrock in the garage and carry the pieces upstairs to the bathroom.  Since I end up measuring about three times, forgetting the tape measure a couple times,  then carrying the piece up to check it out, only to have to take it back down to do a little more adjusting—with each of these meaning a trip up and down the stairs—this turns out to mean many trips up and down the stairs for each piece of sheet rock installed. 

 


IMG_4136
Currently, I’m about 3/4 done with the new sheet rock install and then I need to do the wonder board in the shower area.   Then we will tape and prime the walls.   The tile guy is going to build a new shower pan and tile the floor and shower.
Plumber comes in Wednesday to install a new shower drain flange, this is what caused the original damage.  With the old fiberglass surround there was a couple inches behind the fiberglass wall to house the plumbing.  For installing tile, we need to move this back into the wall; the plumber will also move this.    This should make a shower area noticeably bigger.  We will also be raising the shower head to give a little better angle on the water coming in.
The cabinets for the basement should be coming in 4 to 5 weeks.    This is putting a lot of pressure on me around maintaining my job search, getting all the other house work down, and doing the remodel, while being 2 months from having severance pay run out.
It seems to me that there has been a marked decrease in the number of positions that I can apply for.   My worry level is increasing.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment