Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 114 – Transition – Hanging In

It is amazing how busy my days are now that I am not working.   The list of things I need to do is endless, and I find myself  lapsing into catch up mode quite often when I focus in one area for too long.

I am in wait mode for hearing back from a job a UW.   I interviewed and felt the interview went well and it seems like a great job.  Hope to hear back soon and at the same time UW is notorious for taking a long time to make decisions.

In the mean time I have found several other jobs to apply for.  And hoping to get some more interviews from these applications.

The last two weeks of the WorkSource Networking group have been great.  Last Seattle Seahawks helmetweek they had Ray Roberts a former Seahawk now motivational speaker and this week was Rita Ashley and Executive Career coach and author.  Ray has a down home style and personality which was inviting and great to listen to.  His message was about the importance of relationships in life and how mentors had influenced his life. 

Rita’s main message was about the importance of networking in looking for a job.  She believes the idea of putting in an application without already having a in with the company ludicrous.   She understands that it is a requirement for unemployment, but she believes it is not the way people get hired.  Her book is self published I believe, which is becoming more and more common.  I would like to write a book at some point, now if I can just narrow down a subject.  Here is a link to her website JobSearch4Execs

After hearing that I didn’t get one of the jobs I interviewed for, Ray’s message was perfectly timed to lift my spirits.  Rita’s message was filled with takeaways that I LED elevator floor indicatorcan use.  I am re-invigorated to write an  elevator speech and to adjust my LinkedIn presence—tightening up my message in both cases.   Here is a YouTube video about elevator speeches for an investment pitch; it needs a little translation for job hunting but the basic idea if the same.

Image representing Google Reader as depicted i...

 

I have been experimenting with a couple of programs.  The first is Google reader—I have been using this in the hopes of being able to digest information faster both to give myself news, but also as a way to find article that are worth sharing in a social networking context.  And another program that I loaded yesterday, but that I think has promise is call Gist.  Gist allows you to follow people and companies in one center location.  In one locationImage representing Gist as depicted in CrunchBase, you see news articles, tweets, Facebook entries and more.  This allows you to engage more directly with your network.

So now I’m back in the saddle and very busy.  The remodel has kicked into a higher gear as I have moved the TV and computer upstairs, basically eliminating the basements as part of the house.  This has crunched our living into a smaller area—already feeling the closeness in both the negative and positive aspects.   I’m in the middle of gutting the walls and ceiling down to the studs.  Hoping to complete the gutting by the end of the week.

Soccer assistant coaching has also started for my daughter’s team.  First practice was yesterday, the car registered 90 degrees, which is melting weather for Seattle.  Supporting practices takes a bit more time away from other tasks, but it is worth it to be outside and helping the girls learn teamwork and the skills of soccer.   And I think we are going to have a fun team this year. 

Can’t believe it has been 114 days.  Time passes so quickly.

Today’s Quote:

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us.

--Stephen R. Covey

 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment