Wednesday, February 02, 2011

D283 - Simply Hire becomes Simply Useless

Image representing Simply Hired as depicted in...

Image via CrunchBase

My favorite job search engine has been Simply Hired for quite a while.  I have especially like the interface with LinkedIn and Facebook. 

I have 21 searches that I perform everyday.  I have these set up so in one click 1/2 of these searches are executed and come up in their own tab.  After I have gone through these and closed all the tabs, I execute and analyze the second half of the search results.

The searches are all set up to run the last seven days and sort in Date order so that the newest are at the beginning.  The one that are new that I have not seen are usually marked so I don’t have to go through all seven days worth.

Normally this would bring up about 500 jobs to look at, which I can quickly reduce down to between 10 to 30 jobs to read through and see if I want to apply.

Simply Hired changed their program on February first, and now there is no way to sort the output in date order.  This makes the results useless.  These 21 searches took between 15 and 30 minutes to go through each day.  Now instead of plowing through 500 possible jobs, I have to plow through all seven days, because they are in no particular order.   The first half took about 50 minutes to get through.

Unless this is changed, I will be changing to use Indeed, and can no longer recommend Simply Hired to be used for job searches. 

I’ve contacted the help forum on Simply Hired, but they claim this is a result of them improving their user interface , I’m afraid they are so removed from their users that this will take forever to resolve.  Unfortunately, I can’t wait for them, so I’m in the process of converting my searches to Indeed and hope to up and running in the next day or so.

Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

  1. its sad to see them only care about 'sponsored results' which pays them each click as opposed to the job seekers needs.
    You may want to tell them that careerjet moved to this model and went from millions of visitors to less than half a million in a matter of months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input. I will try to pass it on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't ever considered SimplyHired one of my best sources, but i took a look after your comment. i did find you can filter by last 24 hours or last 7 days...

    used to be a way to embed criteria in searches. think they disabled that when folks began abusing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matt,
    After receiving numerous help tickets and associated user comments, and surprising quite a bit of traffic on this blog from SimplyHired employees, they have listened to their userbase and will be reinstating the ability to sort by date in an upcoming release.
    I haven't seen it yet, so the site is site useless for the all my searches that have a large number of requisitions returned. But I'm sure they will have this fixed quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know if Simply Hired Sponsored Job listings for job board owners can sort by date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but I not familiar with Job Board Owner capabilities. Though by paying attention to the URL that results when doing searches, you may be able to figure out how to write a URL that will return what you want. Good Luck.

      Delete
    2. Ok Chris, thank you for replying.

      Delete