Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Getting ready for the first day at school

SchoolHouse2

 

Tomorrow is the first Day at UW.  I’m excited to change from trying to sell myself, via my resume or my ability to answer questions, to actually doing what I know how to do—to what I have trained for years to do.

It is expensive to park, when you can find a place, and because of the traffic, it is hectic to get to where you want to go.  I will be taking bus 372  instead.  Monday, I did a test ride to check the timing: 10 minutes to get to the park-n-ride; 30 minutes on the bus;  and then a nice 10 minute walk across campus to get to my office building. 

Also in getting prepared, they ran a back ground check, (I passed Smile ) and have been setting up my internet connections.  UW is using more cloud computing, so lots of resources are available via the web.  Some of these I’m merging with the services I already use like Gmail. 

huskies01In a few minutes will be laying out everything I need for tomorrow. And rechecking the timing in the morning.  I feeling like a first grader getting ready for that all important first trip to school.

I feel like I am starting a 6 month interview process.  I have 6 months to convince them that they are better off with me permanently on-board.  And at the same time, I will be evaluating whether UW is really the place I want to work.

Go Dawgs!!

2 comments:

  1. How has your first week gone? Has it been easy to slip back into the routine, is it exciting to be there? How does it feel to work again instead of working at home to find a position? How is the adjustment of shared chores at home instead of you doing all the cooking and cleaning? Have friends been supportive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great questions. I answer them in the Feb 18th blog entry.

    ReplyDelete