Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 47 – transition – what nots

Haven’t been writing a lot, been focusing on getting things done.  Feel that I’m in a bit of a grind.  Each day is pretty close the same as the last day.  And I beginning to wonder how much to share.

Monday, I attended the WorkSource networking group.  This continues to surprise me with useful information.  They were focusing on interviewing, which broadened my thinking a bit, since I haven’t done a lot of interviewing.  I went to the library afterward and got several books on interviewing and tough interviewing questions to get prepared.  I have slowly been making my way through the books.

Also got the book “Seven Days to Online Networking”.  Hoping to get some suggestions for improving my skills here.

My new searching technique is working.  I found two good jobs to apply for over the last couple of days.  I was able to connect using networking on both of these jobs.  The first one, I was able to get a introduction from a friend to a person that worked for the company.  The person at the company has contacted me and asked for a copy of my resume and cover letter, which I have sent.  This person has a job title in my field, so I’m excited that some good information will come from this contact.  On the second job application, a friend of mine works for the company, so I sent her the information that I submitted, a copy  of the job req. and asked if she had any suggestions for me.

Before searching with my new method, I had a schedule for where I would search on what days.  Now I have been able to complete my searches across all of my areas everyday, and since the beginning of the week have add some more searches to my list.  See Day 41 for more on this subject.  If you have questions on this please feel free to send me email.

Emotionally, there is a growing underlying tenor of worry.  Worry that I’m not doing what I should be doing.   Worry that I’m not getting enough interviews and call backs.  Worry that my severance and unemployment will run out before I’m able to find something else.  This is under the surface, but I can feel this crop into my  thinking more and more.

Having this break from work has been great, but not a vacation.  I am working far harder and longer hours being unemployed than I did being employed.  It seems to be never ending.  It would be great if I could find that perfect position and then say, “I would like to take some time off, can I start in a month or two?”  I don’t know that I will be in the position to do this, but it is nice to think about.

I have also noticed that my emotions are easily swinging again.  Getting a call back, or an email can affect multiple days, and very quickly rise my spirits.  Not hearing is a slow grind that slowly brings me down, a little more with each passing day.  I think the exercising is helping to level this out some.  Exercising is a mode elixir.

In the exercise area, I’m doing good.  I have been getting some knee pains over the past couple of weeks.  I have been thinking that this is mainly from lifting weights, though I have purchased some new shoes to see it could be in the shoes.  Having convinced myself that I need to back way off on lifting I thought I should confer with a trainer at the Y.  He didn’t agree and thought my schedule was good and that I should stick with it.   Tuesday I walked 8.3 miles, this is the longest I have done.  My knee loosened up in this walk, and has felt significantly better since then.  After lifting weights I have been a “yoga” stretching routine and then stretching again in the hot tub.  I think this has had a marked effect on my knee and should help against any other injuries. 

I should qualify the “yoga” statement.  It was yoga when it was taught to me some 20 years ago.  I have changed it and probably contorted into something that is unrecognizable by anyone that knows yoga.  Though I’m stretching better now than I have in probably 5 years.

Today’s quote:

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go do that. Because what the world needs are people who have come alive."

-- Harold Whitman

 

It is easy to blame BP, a better question might be “How has my addiction to petro lead to the disaster in the gulf?”

No comments:

Post a Comment