Saturday, October 29, 2011

Near the end (Layoff). Part I

finish line

  Yesterday, I interviewed for the permanent position that I have been working at for the last 9 months in a temporary capacity. Thought this would be a good time to do an overview of the journey that I have been through to this time.

I may be near the end of this part of the journey; a journey that started almost 2 years ago, when after 23 years of very dedicated service, I received the 60-day Warn notice from Boeing. I had no pre-warning that I understood. It was a shock to my system to say the least.

In ways, I was a by-product of the Great Recession, the worst recession since the Great Depression of the 1930’s, this one brought on my greed in banking and finance communities just like that one.

In other ways, the change entered into my life through my desires for change. An answer to internal prayers, or to my accumulated karma, karma brought forth from both negative and positive aspects of past actions. An example of this was that I was getting more and more uncomfortable with the level of defense work that Boeing was involved in. I was feeling more and more guilty for assisting the creations of weapons of death. This wasn’t a huge thought, a front a center thought, more of a small impression that was always in the back ground.

Our thoughts have power. Due to the confusing aspects of our thoughts, they tend to cancel themselves out, but as they continue to repeat they gain energy or momentum. So in a way, I feel the layoff was an answer to my requests over a long period of time; with this thinking it easier to take full responsibility without blaming others for your situation.

There is a time when grieving is needed and it is important to grieve for your loss. I found many people that got stuck in this grieving and had a hard time moving their energy from what they had lost to finding a new position. Others who refused to grieve could be seen regretting other losses like being too old to find a job (regretting the loss of youth) or being useless (regretting not keeping skills up). I think it is easy for people to get caught up in depression at this time also. It is normal to experience fears, and reflecting on these fears and understanding what is real and what is imagined can be powerful.

finish line

Stepping into this I knew that I knew little or nothing about finding a job in today’s market. The radical methods I used to get on at Boeing would no longer work at all. Computers have changed every facet of the job search.

To get unemployment you had to put in X number of applications per week. Other than this you have to get out of the idea of quantity of applications and get into the idea of narrowing focusing, and individually tailoring your resume for the specific job. Meaning that your resumes needs to be rewritten with each job application and adjust to bring out your talents for the particular job application. This is in way to be considered pulling the wool over their eyes. The few pages that you have on your resume no where covers the life experience that you possess. What you are doing is pulling on this life experience to match the specific job. This process for me took several hours to complete. Time is not on your side. Once a job application comes out that you want to apply for you should get I your application in as soon as you can. The number of application being received is very high, quality is more important than timing, but timing is very important.

Continue in Part II

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Did you get the permanent position? I am sincerely hoping that you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to report that I did get the position. I'm working the job now, but official become a staff member on November 16th. So it's been about a year and 9 months to gain a modicum security back into my life.

    ReplyDelete