Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 88 - Transition - internal discipline

I didn’t realize how tightly wound I was.

Yesterday, I had an interview for the job that I would love to have.  There was a lot of material to cover and I invested quite a few hours in preparation.  I was ready; I was calm; I felt a rapport with my interviewers; and I was able to answer the questions well.

I am fully qualified for this position and have no big holes in my skill base that would disqualify from consideration.  And all of my experience will be applied with this job and my skills and talents will bring benefits to this organization.

Using my networking contacts to talk with a friend in this position before and with another employee within the same organization had provided both information and comfort.  Information about the position and comfort in knowing that I was a good fit for the position.

Everything aligned itself for this interview, physically and spiritually, to the point of experiencing synchronistic occurrences leading up to the interview.
 
I really felt good going into the interview.

I was relaxed through the whole interview and felt good afterward.

I felt that I had done a good job of revealing my personality and skills.  There were areas where I felt I could have done  better job, but not areas that created doubt in my mind that I had done well.
And this good feeling lasted through the night.

What surprised me was how deeply I slept through the night.  I must have been unwinding stress that I didn’t realize was present.  Maybe my sleep for the last couple of days had been impacted without realization on my part.  I was tired last night and fell asleep fast and I slept a little longer, but the big change was in the dept.  Somehow, it seemed that I sleeping at a much deeper level.

******************************************************************

I have done almost all that I could up to this time.  I did the best I could and I have no regrets.  Today, I need to compose thank you notes and get them in the mail.  And then it is back to the waiting game.

The timing is the completion of first round interviews by the end of next week and then moving into second round interviews the first two weeks of August.  So I shouldn’t have to wait long to hear.

*******************************************************************
I feel kind of a odd emotional play going on.  Trying to balance my desire to have this job with protecting myself from a broken heart.  It is like I have to temper my hopes in case it doesn’t come through.  I don’t think that is the game that I want to play.  I really want this job.  And I will be very disappointed if I don’t get it.

This job represents many things to me.  It is in the Health care industry, so it means working with people that have dedicated their lives to helping others.  It also means a way that I can give back to society for blessings that I have received.  I had always felt a twinge of discomfort in the fact that Boeing makes weapons of destruction, never enough to leave the company on that point alone, but this discomfort had been present since I first decided to work for Boeing more that 22 years ago.

Boeing has afforded me tremendous opportunities of growth and learning, which I am very thankful for.  Now, I feel it is time to start using these skills and talents for a purpose greater than stockholder equity.

When we pick a career, whether we do it consciously or unconsciously, we are dedicating out lives to the endeavor of that career.  We spend so much time in the position, and align our lives to supporting the success of the position, that we are in fact dedicating our lives to it.

My job, what I have dedicated my live to, it making people better at whatever they have dedicated them selves to.  I do this by helping them improve several areas.  First the actual steps of the job itself through emphasizing what is of most importance and brings the most value.  Secondly, I help them work out the personal interfaces with others, or the team dynamics of the position.  And thirdly, I help them with their thinking about the position.  This includes how important what they are doing is, and how it fits into the bigger picture.

I can do this in any industry.  I can do this at any level of a organization.  This touches or approaches dealing with our spiritual sides of why we do things.  And this takes internal discipline to be able to externally help others.

As I have matured, this internal discipline has become more and more important in the work that I do.  I think this has played a part in my layoff and my need to find a position that will allow me to pay back to society.

One sensei that I have been fortunate to have in my live, has to meditate 3 hours a day to be able to be a facilitative leader of groups.  I’m not anywhere near this level, but this is an example of internal discipline needed to help others.

Sorry for this long winded explanation of why my heart is really set on this job.  But my intention is fully aligned to have this position.  My heart is set in a single direction.

Today’s Quote:
Care more than others think wise.
Risk more than others think safe.
Dream more than others think practical.
Expect more than others think possible.

--Howard Schultz, CEO Starbucks Coffee, Pour Your Heart Into It

No comments:

Post a Comment