Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 87 – Transition – We it rains it pours

The last couple of days have been focused on studying for the interview tomorrow.  I am pretty much ready.  Having reviewed what was on their website;  the website of their outside consultant that is working with them, my own personal notes on Lean and rereading so seminal articles on Lean, I believe that I am pretty much ready.  This was a lot of material and helpful to go over.

My friend, who had this same position several years ago, needed to push our phone conversation off until tomorrow.  That will take place in the morning.

I’m hoping for another cool day.  Wearing a monkey suit  and tie when it is 85 outside sounds pretty uncomfortable.  This is all picked out, though I still need to iron everything.  Tomorrow will be spent in final preparations like ironing  and reviewing interviewing books on loan from the library. 

This has been a lot of preparation, but it will seem like  just a pittance compared to getting a job and starting to put in 40+ hours a week again.

Getting a job will create a whole other set of complications that we would have to handle now that my wife is back at work.  But that would be more fun to handle than the changes we have been dealing with to date.

After all the back and forth trying to get my TAA cobra insurance lined up, this is where the federal government would subsidize my health care benefits by 80%, we have decided to drop the insurance and use  my wife’s insurance coverage.  This will save us over $400 per month, a tidy sum.  The insurance isn’t quite as good, but it will do.  It was a godsend that my wife could get her position so quickly.  And the benefits are very good compared to most places today.

When it rains it pours.  I received another request for an interview.  This one won’t happen until the beginning of August.  It is for another position that would be exciting to go into.   I’m all up for getting a few more of these lined up.  Maybe we could hold one of those reverse auctions for my services….  Chris…, wake up…, wake up…, you started dreaming there for a second.

Also, seems like I’m hearing more good news about the economy.  In Washington state it was reported that job listings are up 21% from last fall.   And with all the cash that big corporations are holding it seems like hiring could bust loose at anytime.    My cynical side says it will probably just amount to higher executive bonuses rather than jobs, but let’s remain hopeful.

Today’s Quote took me a bit of reflection to become comfortable with:

"The basic difference between an ordinary person and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary person takes everything as a blessing or a curse."

-- Carlos Castaneda

No comments:

Post a Comment