Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Day 11- Transition – Baseline Part II

Being more physically fit has ramifications on the job search.  Getting more oxygen to the brain increases brain power.  Being physically fit reduces depression, stress, and increases good hormones thus creating a happier demeanor.  All of which improves the ability to apply for, interview for and get a new position.  There are many other benefits too numerous to go into here.

In Day 6 – Transition Baseline Part I, I introduced the notion of creating creative tension by creating tension between where I want to be (future state) and where I currently am (current reality).  Getting a very clear understanding of my current health and physical fitness and creating a tension in my mind by comparing this to where I want to be.

I talked about knowing my health numbers (like blood pressure) and getting clear about what this numbers mean.  In this post, I would like to continue on a little deeper into this understanding of current reality.

The YMCA of Bothell has a large scale, I’m assuming that it is accurate; this is where I did my official weigh in on last Tuesday.  I have also measured my body at the neck, Bicep, Chest, Waist, Hips, Thigh, and Calves (see body measure instructions below).  This will be helpful for understanding in what ways my body is changing as time goes on. 

BTW, this Y is an excellent facility.  The people are helpful, the equipment is great and well  maintained, their is all sorts of programs included in the membership, and it is completely family friendly.  If you are looking for a place to join, I would recommend looking at the Bothell Y if you are in the area.

Another number that is needed for the baseline is your Body Mass Index. Along with calculating BMI, the website at http://home.fuse.net/clymer/bmi/ takes as inputs your height and waist measurement then calculates a host of ratios.  A explanation of each number and what good or bad means for each is given.  These are good for understanding where I am and in some cases for understanding what my proper numbers should be.  I found that I’m not as bad as I often tell myself; but then again, I’m on the borderline and have been heading in the wrong direction for a couple of years.  Now is the time for my to do something before my health is seriously impacted.

As I was looking at different options for the physical fitness component of this baseline I found one that I really liked.  This is what the US Air force uses; it is easy and well documented.  It only includes 4 measures:

Time to run 1 1/2 miles

50%

# of push Ups in 1 minute

10%

# of crunches in 1 minute

10%

Body Composition (height to waist ratio)

30%

The percentage to the right is how much each area figures into the overall score.  I love the simplicity of it.   It has adjustments for age and sex. The tables list out the score you receive based on your input, then add up the four scores to see your overall fitness.  Above 75 is passing, above 90 is excellent.

I wasn’t anywhere near passing.  I was simply amazed that I could actually run the 1 1/2 miles.   Of course, use personal caution here, if you haven’t been exercising or have health issues please consult a doctor before starting an exercise routine or even doing strenuous baseline setting.  The idea isn’t to kill yourself but to get a clear notion of where you are and then to slowly improve these numbers.  My numbers are low.  And now I have measurement that I can compare my progress against in the next few months.  At this point, I’m more concerned with implementing the behavioral changes necessary to see improvements rather than setting a goal to obtain a certain number (like shooting for 75% by September).

If you want to learn more about the Air Force Fitness test, please see: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforce/a/affitness.htm.  I’m sure there are many other references, but I found this one fairly easy to understand and well laid out.

I have created a spreadsheet that is holding all of these numbers.  Every so often I will repeat the baseline process and check the numbers finding where I am doing good and where I’m failing.  Consciously reestablishing my current reality as it changes. 

So that completes the physical base lining.  There is still another type of baseline that I need to complete, but this will take a couple weeks, and I’m not ready to start this yet.  This is looking at my eating habits and base lining how much and when I’m eating.  This will involve filling out a food/mood diary. 

Currently, I’m trying to implement expanded and regular exercise time into my schedule.  And at the same time learning to plan and prepare the meals at our house.  I plan to start the food diary in a few weeks, sooner if time allows.

BODY Measurement Instructions

The tape should be pulled to where it is lying flat against the skin all the way around. Like with taking skinfold measurements, your goal with body tape measurements is consistency. Take them the same every time you take them and you will get an accurate view of your progress with each body part.

Sites for Body tape MeasurementsBelow and pictured to the right is a list of suggested sites to regularly measure.

Neck - Standing, measure your neck at its largest girth, right over the Adam's apple.

Shoulder - Standing, can either be measured as a straight line from the largest points on each shoulder across the chest or as a girth measurement all the way around the body.

Bicep - Measure at its largest girth, can be taken relaxed with arms at side, relaxed with arm bent, flexed with arm bent or all three.

Chest - Standing, measure with breath out just above the nipple.

Waist - Standing, measure at the narrowest point or at the midway point between the top of the hip bone and the bottom of the rib cage.

Hips - Measure at the largest girth, where the butt is protruding the greatest.

Thigh - Standing, measure at the largest girth, just below the butt.

Calf - Seated if you are measuring yourself or standing if you have a partner, measure at its largest girth.

No comments:

Post a Comment