Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 30 Transition – 2 steps forward, 1 step back

Today, I attended my first professional networking session at the WorkSource office.  My case worker has promoted these sessions as a good activity to attend.  They have it every Monday from 9 to 12.

Today they had a presentation by a Gal that had been through unemployment.  She has since packaged up what we believes worked for her into a website.  She feelings that she has found her calling in promoting the website.  The material appears to be a mixture of self understanding and self marketing.  The first step is to take the Knowdell Motivated skills test and the Knowdell Values Test.    

I took both of these tests tonight.  This is the one step back; I had taken these when I first started to redo my resume.  Though I felt it was good to review the results now.  I think my answers have changed some, at least in the area of giving myself a little more credit for skills that I possess.  Both of these test can be found here

Part of what she was talking about today was marketing yourself.  Developing that elevator speech so that you can tell someone the type of job you are looking for in a 2 minute elevator ride, complete with your background and the reason you are good at this (better than everyone else).

I have creating a elevator speech on my To Do List, so this is timely.   Though I don’t want to redo the effort I did in the beginning when I worked on my resume.  I will look through this website and see what information makes sense to complete now.

The way she explained the site today, their are some things that I definitely want to go through the exercises.  You can see the site at www.mostvaluableme.com.  One item that is interesting in how she is laying out the site is by going through the exercises you have been exposed to methods.  Because the Knowdell tests are of automated card sorted type test and you can recognize that you have done this.  You can claim this in your portfolio:

In your portfolio, you may say you used:
BUSINESS AREA: Usability
TOOLS: Automated Card Sort
SKILLS: Critical thinking, Active learning

The site has many examples of this.  This may be pushing it a bit, but in one of

her exercises she uses the 5-whys method.  Which I have used many time over the years.  This is something that I can claim some competency in.  I have doubts that I would get to that level of distinguishing what I can or can not do.

I took a lot of notes today, and want to research the website and several of the areas that she mentioned.

Second Phone interview

Tomorrow, I have a phone interview, the second in so many weeks.  I haven’t heard back from the first one, though I felt good about the interview.  Tomorrow, I will be spending the day researching the company that I’m interviewing with.  I will review the job requisition.  Run it through the text analyzer and think of stories that I can use as examples of what the job requisition is looking for.  

Today’s quote:

At the center of your being you have the answer;

you know who you are and

you know what you want.

- Lao Tzu

I think Lao Tzu is right. I continue to search, maybe not so much a search for my center, but rather searching for the articulation of who I am and what I want.  And with this articulation then others will help me in the realization.

No comments:

Post a Comment