Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 32 – Transition – Magic carpet ride

The day started out rainy and bleak.  I put the coffee grounds in the coffee maker and then remembered that I forgot the filter, what a mess.  The rest of the day didn’t seem productive in the sense of really getting things done which I needed to get done.  The best of plans often go awry.  What I thought was important often gets adjusted.
Today, I wrote a letter to someone in need.  Not on my to do list, but something that I’m glad I took the time to do. Between that and answering other email, a little house cleaning, oh, and the cleanup of my mistakes with the getting my personal java fix—the morning was gone.
The afternoon consisted mainly of insurance.  I still don’t have my cobra squared away with Boeing or the federal government.  I’m hoping that after today I’m on the right path to getting this cleared up.  There is a check racing back to Illinois, hopefully it can make it before the 1st.  There is more paperwork coming from Boeing that I need to send to the IRS so they can process my claim to get the TAA benefits.  
This is second piece of mail that I have missed something on.  Last week I missed  a meeting that I was required to attend for WorkSource.  After so many years of working strictly electronically,I am not use to this snail mail stuff.   I have to get better at recording actions from the mail I receive.  These are serious mistakes that I can’t afford to keep making.
I did a little searching today, applied for a couple jobs at Boeing.   I haven’t heard anything positive from any of the Boeing applications I have put in other than we have received your resume and you are under consideration.   And every once and a while I receive a letter saying thank you for considering us but we are no longer considering you.
One of the people in the LinkedIn group announced that he found a job.  I couldn’t be happier for him.  And somewhere in the back of my mind there is some negativity that arises, maybe a little fear or insecurities arising.  Wondering why him?  What did he do that I didn’t?  I’m I doing this all right?  Why not me?  Is there something wrong with me?  Maybe I should dye my hair.  Wait I haven’t had a interview, how would that have made a difference.  Ya, but then you would appear younger.  My insecurities just dump out all over the place. 
This all happens in a matter of a couple minutes.  No lasting scars, it is interesting how surface these emotions are still residing.  They aren’t  near as strong as they were, more like a murmur than a shout. 
The day passed without exercise, so after dinner I headed to the Y and for the torture they call the trend mill.  If I’m just walking then I try to maintain 4.5 MPH, but in order to get better at the 1.5 mile run, I have been trying to do more jogging.  I tried to do 2 minutes walking at 4 mph and then 2 min jogging at 5.5.  I also used a slightly hilling course so I would get some variation in the slope. 
My time for the 1.5 mile was 14.5 minutes, which I was really excited about.  My base time when I started was 23 minutes for around Green lake about as flat as they come.  The trend mill is different than running outside, but I am excited by what I was able to do.  Also I watched my heart rate closely.  It would max out around 172 and within the 2 min recover walk would come down to 120 to 130, until the end of the forty minutes, then I wouldn’t recover as quickly.  I also had to do some 1 minute jogs and 3 minute walks when I was getting really stretched about 3/4 of the way in.
After about 20 minutes on the treadmill there is this feeling, kind of floating across the floor, this is what I call the magic carpet ride.  Kind of the feeling that walking on a air hockey table might be.  Today this lasted for a few minutes after I completed my workout. 
It was a good workout, though now I’m zapped.
Tomorrow is a housecleaning, searching day—mostly searching. 
Today’s quote:
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
-- Rumi

No comments:

Post a Comment