Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 23 – Transition – Younger next year

Part of putting your intentions out into the universe is that the universe then conspires to fulfill your intentions.  Such is the case with my meeting latter this week on the community bridge project. And such is the case with today’s topic: the book Younger next year by Chris Crowley and Henry Lodge.  This book was given to me by a friend after he  heard that I was focusing energy at becoming healthier.

Lodge is a geriatric MD and Crowley is one of his 70+ patients.  One that is living a full and rich life.  The chapters of the book are alternatively written by each of the authors.  Lodge from the physician’s point of view tends to focus on the science behind aging and staying fit.  And Crowley tends to focus on the more personal experiences and stories, his own and others that he knows.

I don’t like fad diets, and believe that the only way that I will change my present health trajectory is through behavior changes.  These behaviors changes include changing my eating habits and exercising more regularly.  This way is harder and takes longer, but I believe this is the only way to truly get on top of it.

For me this book is preaching to the choir and has helped my get more focused in my intention.  Knowing strength training is important; I was surprised to learn just how important this is.  The book stresses that getting aerobically fit is what keeps you from dropping dead early and strength training is what makes your life worth living.  Strength training is especially important for eliminating the constant aches and pains of growing old, reversing bone decay and decreasing associated injuries, and improving joints and reversing associated arthritis.

The basic premise of the book is that through exercise, friendships, and commitments there is no reason not to feel like a 50 year old or better until your very last days.  There is no reason to stop doing things like hiking or down hill skiing.  And there is no reason not to have fun and enjoy your life.  The secret is not in weight loss though that could be a by product, the secret is in exercising hard 6 days a week.  At least 4 aerobic sessions and 2 strength training sessions.

Henry Lodge has 6 rules that you have to live by:

  1. Exercise 6 day a week the rest of your life
  2. Do serious aerobic exercise 4 days a week for the rest of your life.
  3. Do serious strength training, with weights 2 days a week for the rest of your life.
  4. Spend less than you make.
  5. Quit eating crap.
  6. Care.
  7. Connect and Commit.

This book applies to anyone over the age of 30, no matter what your current physical condition is and it is never too soon or too late to get started with it.  What is important is that you start now and plan on doing it for the rest of your life.  There is also a version more directed to women, though one gal has told me that that it covers basically the same material adding in some information about menopause.

A blueprint for moving forward; it doesn’t cover everything, but it is enough to get a healthy start.   This book doesn’t change anything that I was already doing, but rather give me encouragement that I’m on the right path.  Builds enthusiasm for the weight lifting.  And has gotten me thinking deeper about how important personal community building is, (especially for guys).

I recommend this book for everyone over 30 especially if you are not working out on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment