Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 31 – Transition – Rain Delay

3:30 phone interview.  Spent the day preparing.  Researched the company history on Google and Yahoo.   Read its Wikipedia entry.

Learned that it grew over 10% last year.  It has been taking over companies lately and looks to be preparing to take over some more companies in the future.  Seems to be in good financial shape.   With a good reputation in its industry.

Used the text analyzer on the Job requisition, didn’t learn a lot here.  Copied the job requisition into a spreadsheet and for each relevant phrase thought of a story that I could tell to reinforce my fit for the job.  This took a while, but I thought this is a great way to prepare for an interview.

Then I went in and listened to a meditation tape for 30 minutes in order to calm my mind and not get nervous.

Up 25 minutes before interview, quickly brew some coffee, trying to time my caffeine intake perfectly.  Not so much that I’m wired, but enough to be fully awake and present. 

Small hiccup.   My daughter comes home with friend to bake cookies.  With 10 minutes to go, I need to picked up my notes and computer and move down stairs.  Feeling a little rushed, but I have plenty of time.  Get all set up up downstairs, not quite as good as having my stuff spread across the dinning room table, but this will work just fine.  Couple minutes left, can relax, clear my mind, sip on my coffee.

Time for the call.

2 minutes after.  Look at me watching the clock.

5 minutes after time, probably hung up in the meeting. Still getting others together. 

10 minutes after, I better double check the number I sent her.   I wonder if Google Voice is unreliable.  Maybe she tried to called and Google voice was busy.  

15 minutes, well this sucks, wonder what is going on.  No email. No phone call.  Better check email one more time. 

20 minutes, its a wash out. 

I send a email.  “Not sure what happened, please let me know if you had problems connecting to the phone number I supplied.  Hope we can reschedule soon.”

“Sorry got held up in previous meeting.  Let’s meet on Friday at 11:00.” 

Rain delay.

Well the research is done.  I will just have review it on Friday morning.  Had planned Friday to be working with my daughter to tear out the walls of the laundry room, but we should be able to start a little later and still get the walls out.

Tomorrow will be a catch up day, on everything I put off to prep for interview today.

Today’s quote:

It is not the strongest of the species that survives,

nor the most intelligent,
                                  but the one most responsive to change.

       - Charles Darwin

No comments:

Post a Comment