Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 3 – Career Change – waiting week

Yesterday, I applied for unemployment.  This first week where you don’t get any pay is the called the waiting week.  This week I have to record three company contacts or equivalent.   And then next Sunday, I can submit my request for a weekly check.

Even though we are getting severance pay at this time, we are planning to apply for unemployment and put it in the bank in case we have to go longer than the extent of my severance pay.

This year with the unemployment checks, severance pay, vacation pay, and now my wife’s paychecks we should actually make more this year then last.  But we have to worry about cobra insurance payments and we need to be thinking 6 months to a year out and thinking about how we will get by if we use all the severance pay up and still don’t have a job.  In this economy, this is a distinct possibility.  

Today didn’t seem very productive.  Spent the morning running errands around the house.  Errands that just piled up and needed to be done. 

Then in the afternoon, I started looking at jobs at Boeing.  First, I need to reenter my resume and get set up in the new system for entering jobs outside the company.   I did some searches, but I must of had the search set wrong because I only saw intern jobs.

Then went to Microsoft and spent about hour on a job that must have been re-advertised.  I applied for it before, and my application is still active, but the the requisition was listed as being advertised today.  So an hour was wasted.

Finally, found another job at the Gates foundation that I am in the process of applying for. 

Tomorrow: Two informational interviews.  One with Price Waterhouse Coopers for possible consulting positions.  And then talking to a small local Lean Consulting firm.  One of my interests with this one is the possibility of delivering training virtually over the internet.

Here is the last set of numbers I published.

inSite Group                                 56
April 23rd LinkedIn group              21
Jobs applied for:                           40
Rejections:                                   17
Interviews:                                    1

Can see the inSite group anymore, it ended up at 57 the last time I looked.  Any open requisitions that I had at Boeing will now be closed due to the layoff, I believe I ended up with 25 applications in.

So my new numbers are:

April 23rd LinkedIn group              24
Boeing Inside Jobs                        31 
Jobs applied for outside:               11
Interviews:                                    2 Rejections:                                  32

Hopefully I can get the outside jobs number above the inside number in short order.

No comments:

Post a Comment