Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 62 – Warn Notice – Rush Rush

Well after two days of rushing around with my head cut off trying to get everything done before my Friday exit meeting, I think I’m ready, or as ready as I’m going to get.  I have tomorrow morning to remember anything that I have forgotten.

I have been moving files that I want to keep off my Boeing computer.  Some I mailed, some I transferred.  I have old PST files that I want to keep but I may not have a good way to read them unless I go to outlook.  I imagine that this will be the type of thing that I will save the file but I actually will never use it and get along just fine.

This is part of this stepping out in the unknown; I am unsure of my self, so I want to over compensate by getting very prepared.

Part of the getting ready today was cleaning out my inbox and sending out a final goodbye to everyone.  I got my inbox down to about 7 emails.  I will probably just send these last seven to Gmail because my brain is hurting from deciding what I will or won’t need, sometimes it is just easier to throw in the kitchen sink.

Over the years I have collected quite a few Boeing contacts.  Today I set them all an email of appreciation for the work we have done together.  I’m sure some people where saying who is the guy and why does he think I give a rip that he is leaving the company, probably deserves to be fired wasting everyone’s time with spam emails.  But with a few seconds I received quite a few replies, I would say about 15 out of office replies came back really quickly.  Then about 10 minutes later more interesting replies started coming in. 

Some replies were from people that I haven’t seen in many years, and we could reminisce a little about the time we spent together.  I answering each one that I received with what I hope will come across as the heartfelt response that I intended.  I had a hard time keeping up with the incoming.   It took well over 2 hours reply, the best two hours of the last couple months.

I have decided to buy two pairs of glasses tomorrow.  The second pair will max out my flexible spending plan at near the $1600 dollars we said we would spend for the year.

I also went in a cashed in the last of my pride at Boeing points, getting gift certificates to Lowes that will go towards the remodeling of our basement.

I attended my last Boeing staff meeting today.  It was really a program status meeting, I needed to present the last of my work deliverables, which only took a few minutes.  The few minutes were spent with people trying to express their feelings about my departure a mixture of reassurance, hope, guilt, discomfort, nervousness, love, and platitudes.  Then after a few minutes of that it was back on task, back to attention, and on with the status meeting.  At the end if the meeting it was hugs all around, this part I liked ( this felt the most real and honest to me). 

Then tonight, I transferred the last files, took some email files, like a picture the we used for my mother’s funeral last fall and sent it to Gmail, just to make sure I didn’t lose it in my Outlook PST file.  Since I haven’t found a good solution for reading my PST files other than buying outlook, I want to make sure I had access to these files in the short.  My wife has a copy of outlook on her machine so maybe that will be handy enough access to get me by.

Then tonight I started deleting files off my computer and email.  I still want to be able to use email in the morning before my exit interview, so I won’t delete everything.  But the majority of files will be gone tonight.

Emotionally, I don’t think I have stopped to think enough this week to know what I was feeling.  In a way I think I’m numb, maybe I’m just holding back in order to get threw this week.  Then at least the Boeing part will be over and I can focus on moving forward 

I have been thinking about the changes that I want to implement starting the 24th and I will try to finalize this list in my  head tomorrow.

Tomorrow: Three last rushing things to do and this part of the journey is sadly over. Clean out my desk, get through my exit interview, and then go purchased those glasses (sale has to be record on or before the 23rd).  Then maybe a glass of wine to celebrate the passing of a milestone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment