Monday, April 05, 2010

Days 43-45 Warn Notice – Weekend Off

With Easter weekend being this last weekend, I took the whole weekend off and did not do any job hunting what-so-ever.  This is the first weekend off since starting this ordeal.  It was nice and refreshing.

Went through all of my company searches without finding any promising positions so then went on to SimplyHired.    SimplyHired is my favorite of the aggregator sites due to its ties with LinkedIn, but there is so much on there that I almost hate using it.  I found a position of interest at Premera Blue Shield; applied and then added Premera to my company listing so that I check it out each day.  I like the company searches because I can quickly look at all the jobs released in the last couple of days.  

I have used SimplyHired a few times this same way; as a way to find companies with the right type of positions to put into my company search line up.    After a period of a few days doing company searches, I can evaluate if it is worth it to keep them there.  Virginia Mason is a company that I’m thinking I should remove from my list.  I applied for a position early with them and added them to my list, but over the last two weeks I haven’t found anything else of interest. 

Gave a LinkedIn overview to the inSite group today, this seem like it was good session to give people, who may not have done anything with LinkedIn before, a glimpse at some of the power of networking.   We went through how to build a profile; increasing your network; and how to this can help you when looking for a job.   I also showed two other tools that I like: Google Voice and gmail.  Google voice works great as a answering and call forwarding service.  This allows me to track calls and messages and to hide any changes that will take place when I give up my work cell phone.  Any calls will ring at my house and my cell phone at the same time.  I use Gmail as my exclusive job searching email.  It is on my resume and since it is not tied to a particular service like comcast, I can change my internet provider without losing my email address.   After my job search is over, I expect to use Gmail for more of my email activity breaking this dependency on my internet provider.

A big albatross will be removed from my neck when Butler wins the NBAA championship.  This should free up a bit of time.  About 11 minutes left  in the game, and Duke is up a little, but there is a lot of time left.  Go Butler.

Tomorrow: Search and Apply.  Also fill out  and send in the paper work that has to be in by Friday or else no severance pay.

inSite Group                                 57
Jobs applied for:                           35
Rejections:                                   14
Job Posting withdrawn:                   1
Interviews:                                     1

No comments:

Post a Comment