Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Day 12 -Warn Notice - Bacon and Passion

Started out the day with an hour walk, experiencing the light of a new day is a great beginning.   Listening to inspirational podcast, walking and jogging as the dark changes to light is invigorating.  And it was nice that the rain held itself at bay.  Using this time to center myself is important, a skill that will come in handy if this is a protracted job search involving many rejects over a period of months.

Today I spent another day at the office; starting with a resume and interviewing workshop facilitated by Charles Collins.   Charles is a large (well over 6 foot) gentleman with a charming slight southern twang.   He explained the use of functional resume, which he said works great with today’s automatic word searching programs, the ones that are in place in most companies today.  The day of the beautiful resume has one foot in the grave, you now have to worry about the search ability first and then the form.  The day of the chronological resume is also headed to the same grave.   This functional, or what I should call the combination resume, because it does still has a chronological section.  The chronology section is very much deemphasized, instead putting emphasize on skills and competencies, not position.  The combination resume also uses examples to convey skills like:

Designed a collaborative workshop where 25 participants brought their knowledge to develop a integrated vision and project plan with assigned responsibilities to get to the vision within one year, integrating 8 separate Leadership Development programs decreasing cost and increasing capacity 

The current version of my resume is going to have to go through massive changes.   The Bacon, as in bringing home the..., this represents the need to get a job quickly and end this unsettled period in my family’s future.  The passion represents moving towards the heart’s passion knowing that this will bring ultimate happiness.  The bacon is driving for quick results, long hours, and just getting it done.  This resume rewrite, calling from the passion side, is going to take some thinking and soul searching to come up with the right words and examples to express my heart’s desire enabling the matching to the perfect job.  And the bacon says, we need to keep looking at market and what jobs are out there make sure the resume can snare as many as possible.

Charles’ resume workshop is good and was provocative for my thinking and for providing some more clarity on what I need to do—soul searching and passion hunting.

Later in the day, a dear friend provided some appreciated coaching.  This was mostly from the idea of following my passion.  What is it that I love to do, what is it that brings me life and energy, what is it that I want to create with this next phase of my career?  These are all great questions and our discussion was wide ranging touching at technical abilities, skill competencies, and going all the way into spiritual aspirations.  Receiving the view of the outside observer is awakening.  And hearing what others see as your gifts is heartwarming.  I am blessed by the people that I know at Boeing, many with skills designed to help others in all sorts of ways and it has been great to take stock of these friendships and to call upon some for help and have others just show up and help.

Tomorrow – connecting back up with my workgroup

inSite Group:                       45 members
Jobs applied for:                 14
Rejections:                             2
Job Posting withdrawn:        1

2 comments:

  1. Chris, I am so shocked and sorry to hear you received a WARN notice - you are such an insightful and enthusiastic contributor! Thank you for blogging your experience. I will share this with friends and co-workers who have also received a WARN notice. I think it might help them to read about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Robin. And I would love to have you share it. And I hope that they will join the IT People with Warn Notices inSite group so we can help each other as this proceeds.

    ReplyDelete