Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 18 – Warn Notice - Cramming for the test

Interview is Thursday.  Web crawling all that I could about the organization and matching my examples to the job requisition took up my day.  This was tedious but necessary work. 

In Boeing, job requisitions are all written in a standard manner so as not to discriminate or create an atmosphere of favoritism.  They each have a description, skills area and other or special requirements.  I began the process of matching examples from my work history to the skills area; creating  a table with the skills area down one side and columns across the top for the STAR entries.  STAR stands for Situation, Target, Action, and Result this provides the skeleton of the story.  I found this to be difficult work.  The stories didn’t just pop out, I had to spend time thinking about which stories would apply and which one or two would apply the best.

Going at it every day, all day since receiving the warn notice is bound to take a toll on the body and the nerves.  I have been so focused on my resume and now this upcoming interview that I have been neglecting to exercise.  This is a mistake and I can feel it taking its toll.  After four days without much exercise, last night I had a tennis lesson.  It felt so good to get some exercise, and to get the blood flowing.

Side note...  The Guillotine was a great success.  Well the guillotine with what most have been a superb exposé of French capital punishment receive 195 out of 200 points.  And as a plus, I now have a place to act out my aggression--a voodoo ginger bread--Mr Bill kind of thing. 


Another side note, I want to thank everyone that is reading this blog and sending email.  Your comments and words of encouragement mean the world to me.   

Due to the late tennis lesson, I am writing this in the morning instead of at the end of the day.  Today, I will be focusing on the interview preparation and going out to get some new slacks and a shirt.

A friend of mine who was laid off last April sent me his numbers as a comparison to mine.  It is sobering to think that these could be a reflection of my own down the line.  The good news is that he started a new job teaching at a college this week.

inSite Group                                49
Jobs applied for:                          17       236
Rejections:                                    4         34
Job Posting withdrawn:                   1           1
Interviews:                                     1          3

In Boeing, a definite response occurs in the job database when a job is closed or I am not considered for a job.  From my friend’s numbers, I can see this that this will become more of a black hole of no response.  Also, interviews are rare; I can see the importance of spending the time preparing for this interview.

2 comments:

  1. Camille RichardsMarch 10, 2010 12:28 PM

    Chris, I am in awe of your methodical approach as well as your ability to face your emotions and deal with them as they come up. In fact, I would say you are doing everything right. Just before the interview calm yourself with some deep breathing and focus on the gifts and abilities you can bring to this organization. You are NOT desperate for them, (if you think that, it will show, like a date that tries too hard!) Instead, they will be blessed by your gifts and abilities. Think of the organization you are interviewing with as a coaching client who you would sincerely like to help. Outline the ways you feel you can help them be successful with their goals and objectives. Outline the skills you can bring to bear. After the interview - CELEBRATE regardless! A latte, a video rental, some small thing that affirms you. Just getting an interview in this market is worthy of an attaboy you know. It's also practice in a kinder environment since preference is given where possible at Boeing to at risk employees. As a fellow employee I wish you EVERY SUCCESS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise counsel Camille. I appreciate you taking the time to help. Thank you and I will be taking your words with me today.

    ReplyDelete