Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 40 – Warn Notice – reprieve, sort of

Well it is Day forty, though I noticed that we get few days of reprieve.  The numbers don’t work out.  Boeing likes to give warn notices on Friday so people have the weekend to think about it and not go ballistic in the office.  Thinking back to my emotional state on Saturday after finding out, I can understand this.  Having no idea why, maybe it the same one or maybe makes it easier or cheaper for them to have our employment end on Friday, hence the day April 23rd for our lay off. The final outcome of this is that we end up with 63 days of warning instead of the 60 as advertised.   However it is figured, there are now 23 more days to go.

Didn’t search a whole lot today, but there were two jobs of interest in Boeing, and one job at Microsoft that I applied for.  That is more successful than most days. 

Some of the overall pressured was relieved in my situation today.  My wife, who hasn’t been working in order to stay at home for the children has successfully interviewed and decided to accept a position.  We have been in pretty good shape financially, but this will make it easier over the longer run.  This will also mean another big pot of change being brewed up, as we figure out how to get things done around the house with all the changes that will be happening.

As I covered in yesterday’s blog,  I created a new LinkedIn group called April 23rd Networkers dedicated as a networking resource for the people being laid off in this wave.  Today there are 14 registered members in the group.  This is a great start.

In searching for a group icon I came across this:

I love the bright colors and the idea of celebration, but in the end I decided on the Butterfly.  The Butterfly is a traditional totem of transformation and this is a journey of transformation:








Tomorrow: Search and Apply, hopefully finding at least two more jobs to apply for.

I have to say that it isn’t about making a certain number; it is about being consistent in searching, and applying for the jobs that match what I can do, and what I would like to do.

 inSite Group                                54
Jobs applied for:                           30
Rejections:                                   10
Job Posting withdrawn:                   1
Interviews:                                     1

No comments:

Post a Comment