Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 27 – Warn Notice – Pangs

Today, I asked people about being my formal references.  Asking others isn’t my natural way of being.  I’m more comfortable giving than receiving—I love to give.  Asking makes me uncomfortable and at the same I am honored in people’s respond; people generally respond much better and faster than I expected.  Two responded almost immediately out of the three asked.  The third person, often  takes a while to respond because he is so busy.

I was able to get back to Amazon.com and review the resume entered yesterday.  It looked fine.  AT&T ‘s program that was especially bad at sucking my resume in, ended up spending a lot of time trying to reformat it; went back to review it and it still looks terrible.  They also ask for salary history, which I don’t want to give.  Feel that gives them a leg up if we get around to negotiating salary; I guess I could inflate everything.   What I am doing is just avoiding them; maybe I’ll change my mind if they advertise the perfect job.

Part two of my article for Leverage Points Blog was published today.   You can check it out here: Part 2 relationships.  I gotten a few comments back from the first article, always love to hear from people to understand if I'm on the right track or off in a ditch somewhere.

Over the last few days there has been a slight pang that has been brewing in the back on my mind.  It has taken a while to isolate it and then to figure out what it is.  It feels like the beginning of a scream, before it ever happens, but this is way before that.  It has an edge of panic to it.  As I have been trying to grasp at what this was,  my attention kept going back to the day number.   This is the 27th day since receiving the notice. Sunday will be the 30th.  Half my time is near being used up.  This is the growing worry that my time is quickly falling inside the hour glass and there is no way I can stop it.

I haven’t felt this often, but the feeling seems to be growing both in frequency and strength.  It is way back my mind, maybe a couple feet behind the edge of my skull, like a dim light in a tunnel, heading towards me.  It comes with questions of doubt and worry.  I feel the ticking of the days and a sense my forward progress is slowing; that my 22 year commitment to Boeing is slipping away.

When I relax and breathe, get exercise, and focus on the next step, this feeling disappears.

Tomorrow: Find a job to apply for.

 inSite Group                                53
Jobs applied for:                           19
Rejections:                                    7
Job Posting withdrawn:                   1
Interviews:                                     1

I haven’t found in internal jobs to apply for this week—have decided to look at first line management jobs as possibilities to apply for.   Also, I have come to the realization that the 9 of the 10 jobs that I haven’t heard from I won’t hear from.  These are Boeing jobs, the application period has closed, and I imagine that the 5 or 6 people have been called.    My resume, meanwhile,  is the in the half inch of remaining resumes that are held just in case all 6 of the picked candidates get hit by a freak twisters as they walk into the building for their interviews, not too likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment