Friday, March 05, 2010

Day 14 - Warn Notice - Taking Responsibility

In yesterday’s post, I wrote “There are threads in my life that I see coming together over a period of several years that have lead to where I am now”, I think this statement worked on me over night.  I awoke at 5 in the morning, a bit earlier than normal and thinking about how my actions and performance over the last year have contributed to the place that I am in now.  Not in a way that was blaming or creating a spirit of guilt, more in a way of stepping up and taking responsibility.   Not for everything, but for a large balance.  I could also see various pathways that I could have taken that would have left me in a better position now.  I laid in bed for about an hour thinking about this, I enjoyed the time. 

And there was a realization that I have done the best I could do in the situation.  This realization was somehow liberating.  A cathartic experience, releasing some guilt that I hadn’t known was present—guilt that had been masked over by blaming others, the process, the situation, or the outcome.  Not that I have fully lost all of that blaming, but this was somehow able to go underneath it to surface my own guilty feelings. 

This liberation was needed in order to focus on rebuilding my resume today; I was needing to honestly connect with my strengths and weaknesses in order to do this.  Progress has been slow, but I think I have a good inventory of materials in support of this activity.  I took a battery of test and exercises to build material from which to pull ideas.

The book “What color is your parachute 2010?” was most help with an accompanying www.jobhuntersbible.com website.   This site links to other sites for free tests.  One by the Department of Labor that had some great job category and skill requirements information on it.  And one for an executive headhunter called Stewart, Cooper and Coon that had two tests:  Motivated Skills Test (ranking of what you liked to do) and the Careers Value test.  Due to my break of day thinking, I feel that by mental state was well suited to testing today.

Two friends called with concrete ideas for jobs.  Both with the name of a person that is looking for someone to hire—someone wanting to see my resume.  I can’t tell you how appreciative I am to my friends, who are picking up the phone and calling me with ideas, offers of help, or an invitation for coffee and talk.  All of these are important to me.  All of these bring deep feelings of gratitude.

I also heard of an acquaintance that is going to the doctor now with what may be a very serious, later stage cancer.   In addition to feeling sorrow and grief for this person and the family, I am also feel gratitude again.  We have our health, I have my family, and we are better off than many in the world today.  We may be having a more difficult time than we had last month, but we are in great shape compared to many. 

This is all combining to keep my heart open.  And hopeful that I may be able to provide some help to others that are in my same boat. Or better said, that we can provide help to each other, because it is very much a two way street.

Tomorrow: Continue on the resume track

inSite Group:                            45 members
Jobs applied for:                      17
Rejections:                               2
Job Posting withdrawn:              1

Only 5 new jobs posted inside Boeing, none of interest to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment