Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Day 25 – Warn Notice – resume frustration again

The is “resume” as in [ri zoom] or start again and “resume” as in [re sa may] the thing that I have been developing.  This time the frustration comes from trying to enter this into the job boards of the various companies.  I opened an account on Simply Hired today which threw me onto another site to enter resume called Taleo Talent Exchange.  The program at Taleo is just whacked.  It took many tries to of importing my resume and starting the cleanup process before I had even the slightest idea what was going on.  After a while I got the hang of it, and learned to ignore some of the wilder behavior of the program and the finished product looked pretty good.  This is supposed to make it so that companies can come and look for you and if you find a company that uses Taleo then applying is a breeze.  I think it is obvious, that no one that works for Taleo had to use their program to enter their resume.  Later I found that Startbucks Career Center uses Taleo for its jobs listing.

Still looking for the search criterion brings up only the jobs I am interested in.  This is just going to take some time.  I have saved couple searches in Simply Hired, one to view Gates Foundation jobs and one that uses a basket of search words and then looks for job in the area that have been posted in the last 24 hours.  When I ran this search I had 98 hits; out of this I found about 10 jobs that I was interested in reading the descriptions; and one that I applied for.  The target is to get the 98 down to about 30 interesting job titles.  When I returned to Simply Hired to get the URL it told me 42,000 new job had been registered since my last visit a few hours ago--I only need one.

Didn’t find any jobs to apply for inside Boeing today though I did applied for the first outside job.  An interested one appeared at Virginia Mason.  For a long time we have received our medical insurance through VM, and I have admired the progress at Lean that they have made in the last few years.   One doctor I see, we end up talking Lean for about 20 minutes with every visit.   At the VM job site, I had to input my resume one more time.  I also had to write my first cover letter.  I am blessed to have my wife to help edit my writing.

I published a national level article on the Leverage Point Blog today: Systems thinker deals with a layoff part I.  I wrote the article this weekend which turned out a bit long, so we decided to break it into two articles.  Part one talks about how the warn notice process beginning aligns to the grieving process.  Part two discusses relationships and networking; this will be published Thursday.  Both parts look at the layoff through the perspective of Systems Thinking, which Pegasus Communications is a noted leader in this area; I’m thrilled that Pegasus Communications is giving me this opportunity.

Tomorrow: Continue learning about search and hopefully apply for two jobs.


 inSite Group                                52
Jobs applied for:                           19
Rejections:                                    6
Job Posting withdrawn:                   1
Interviews:                                     1

No comments:

Post a Comment