Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day 22 – warn Notice – whoa, put the brakes on

No literally, put the brakes on.  I didn’t do very much related to searching for a job today.  I put new rear brake pads on my Honda.  Otherwise, I have been taking a bit of a respite from job hunting today.  Just a little job search reading and little blogging, but this will be short.

This break is needed.  I have worked continuously since a couple days after getting the warn notice.   Starting early, ending late at night, these long days are burning me out, so today is a day of resting.  I also have been so focused on my resume and the interview this last week that I haven’t been exercising.  I just need to make myself exercise on a regular basis because I have so much more energy, achieve more, and feel so much better when I do.

While job searching is on the front burner activity, I have also been thinking about any additional medical or dental needs that I should be getting done before lay off.  One I’m considering is the purchase of a new CPAP machine; these are expensive and right now we are covered by the FSA – Flexible Spending Account.  FSA is the medical account that we sign up for in November.  We have to estimate our cost for the year and then send in receipts.  We then get reimbursed with our own pretax dollars which we pay a set amount in each paycheck.  This is the account that if you have any money left over in the account at the end of the year you lose that money.  You lose it even if you are doing a new account the very next year. 

Our account will be automatically closed when I am laid off.  If we have money left after lay off and no corresponding expenses, then we lose the money.  Only pre-layoff expenses  are subject to reimbursement even of there is money left in the account.  There also appears to be a possible benefit, if we exceed the amount paid in, but are under the amount of our estimated expenses, we don’t have to pay the extra as long as the expense are incurred before the layoff date. 

Down fall is that if we get a job at Boeing right before the layoff then the extra expenses would have to figure into our yearly total.  We are still trying to understand how best to approach this.  Some other ideas are to get a lot of disposal contacts and getting glasses (I went to the eye doctor this week).  I’m also trying to think of any other medical and dental needs that should be completed in case we lose insurance.  I just had a full physical so that is up to date. 

No changes in the numbers today except one more of the jobs that I applied for marked me as no longer under consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment