Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 21 – Warn Notice – 3 weeks gone

The last three days I was 80% focused on preparing for the interview.  So today I needed to catch up on things that I had let slide, like I hadn’t looked at the Boeing Jobs program for the last three days.  I updated my resume online, so any new Boeing application will use the updated one.  I had a coaching session today, from a person that was trying to sell me on moving forward with her coaching. I think she has a lot to offer, but I’m not sure that this is what I need to do at this time.  And then to complete the interviewing process I sent out an email thank you and then followed up with a hand written thank you notes to each of the interviewing team members.

The day was mostly gone when I started looking for jobs outside of Boeing.  I have a lot of learning to do to understand what need to do here.  Craig’s list seems to be the local answer.  Several companies have jobs boards that you have to go to.  I have also been told that I need to get on with one or two of the headhunter groups.

It has been a long week and I’m feeling a bit stressed and tired right now.  The interview went ok, but I may not hear back for 3 weeks.  At that point 2/3 of the warn notice time  will be gone. 

My first foray into the job market outside of Boeing was a bit overwhelming.  Where do I want to work?  What companies are hiring in this down economy and feel safe enough that I would want to work for them.  What parts of much knowledge are transferable outside of IT?  Or do I want to try and stay in IT?  I’m thinking that I need a break and some rest. 

Last night while I was writing the blog entry, I deciding what tonight’s entry would be about—being 1/3 of the way through the warn notice period.  1/3 of my time is gone before my layoff date.  This concept has been weighing me down all day today--incubating in the back of my mind.  It doesn’t seem like I have gotten much done to this point.  Sometime it feels like I'm slogging through deep snow.  I have some job requisitions in at Boeing, but what else have I accomplished?  

In the 21 days I have:
1.    Recovered mostly emotionally—I doubt this process will ever void of heightened emotions.
2.    Started and maintained daily Other Dribblings blog
3.    Contacted family and friends making them aware of my situation
4.    Attended workshop about Layoff benefits
5.    Attended workshop about resume and interviewing in the 21st century
6.    Attended workshop about TAA
7.    Rebuilt my resume
8.    Started the Boeing internal job search
9.    Create the “IT People with Warn Notices” networking group inside of Boeing
10.    Reached out to my network outside of Boeing making them aware of my situation
11.    Networked with my OSR buddies in the Appreciative Inquiry.
12.    Updated LinkedIn information
13.    Requested and received recommendations on LinkedIn
14.    Prepared for my first interview
15.    Built the beginnings of a work portfolio
16.    Experienced my first Interview (my third interview in 22 years at Boeing)
17.    Wrote and sent thank you notes.
18.    Started looking outside of Boeing for a job.

During this time I have been putting in long hours and so far it has been seven days a week with a little play and exercise mixed in.  Also, household duties that have to get done.

Some of the things that I am doing are foundational and won’t need to be repeated (for example  the interview preparation and the Resume preparation won’t have to be repeated.)  This should make the next two thirds of the warn time flow better.  When I look at my list, I worry about how far I will be at the 60 day point.

Tomorrow: Learn about job searches and search for job outside Boeing.


 inSite Group                                50
Jobs applied for:                           18
Rejections:                                    5
Job Posting withdrawn:                   1
Interviews:                                     1

No changes in the numbers today.

No comments:

Post a Comment