Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 33 – Warn Notice – studying

Tomorrow I have an information interview with a prospective employer.  The purpose is to discuss if my skills could be a match for them.  If yes, then there may be more steps taken.

Not quite sure what I should be studying, I looked at the company website and downloaded a few of PDF’s to read.  I also found some corresponding material from other areas and looked at those.  I still have quite a bit of reading to do to be prepared.  I’m worried that this will be a waste of time, since it took me away from searching and applying for other positions, at the same time I'm a bit nervous about how to go about having this conversation, and excited about possibility finding a position.

Should be able to catch up on the searching on Friday, and it isn’t about who gets their application in first, it is about who comes across as the best qualified.  There seems to be more questioning about what's the right thing to be doing.  This is a whitewater learning experience, there are some principles or guidelines, but it is pretty much feeling around in the dark as you go and determining what the best next step is and d it.

Also today, I attended a couple of community of practice meetings; I didn’t say much, but I want to stay connected with these communities.  It’s strange to be so consciously about staying connected with people, this is new for me.  This is a lesson that I think is worth learning.   The more I learn about communities and networking, the more powerful these are for our future.  Not just the FaceBooks and LinkedIn of today, but the next generation of these, ones that promote deeper and wider ranging connections and collaboration.  I’m also becoming very intrigued with the notion of virtual worlds, and how these will come into the main stream.

Tomorrow: More interview prep, interview, and then searching.
 inSite Group                                52
Jobs applied for:                           23
Rejections:                                    7
Job Posting withdrawn:                   1
Interviews:                                    1

No comments:

Post a Comment