Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day 29 – Warn Notice – Aye, Aye Captain

Happy to find two jobs that I felt qualified enough to apply for today.  The first one was for a manager’s job at Boeing—not sure if this is a good strategy, thought I would expand my search to include management jobs.  The second job is one which I am excited about, it is working with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.  I have a lot of respect for the mission and the accomplishments that this organization is having.  This would be a great way to give back for all the blessings that I have enjoyed my whole life. 

Since my numbers get reported each day here, I have been feeling a bit anxious that the numbers have not changing fast enough and I felt pressed to show progress.  The Gate's application took extra long because it was the first cover letter I have written, I expect the next one won’t be so hard.

Last night we went to the movie Invictus.  If you haven’t seen it I would highly recommend it.  It is playing at the Crest for $3 here in the Seattle area.  It is the story of Nelson Mandela and the South African Ruby team and their quest to win the World Rugby Cup.  It is a story of courage and leadership. 

In the movie, the poem Invictus by William Ernest Henley was cited as a poem the Madela use as a guide in his darkest time.  When I got home I looked up the poem and read the words, and can feel the power that they must have brought this man who was in jail for so long.  I hope by sharing them here you may also feel the power:

    Invictus
            by William Ernest Henley


    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

    Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

I am the master of my fate.  I am the captain of my soul.  Those are powerful words.  I can see how these would have been helpful to Mandela.  They are helpful to me—they help me feel more powerful and put me in control of my destiny.

 inSite Group                                53
Jobs applied for:                           21
Rejections:                                    7
Job Posting withdrawn:                   1
Interviews:                                    1 

No comments:

Post a Comment